A historic photo of Bracon Ash Village Hall
  • Registered Charity: 303912 0

History

The history of the Hall

The original Village Hall was built by the Berney family in 1846 to provide a school for Bracon Ash children. The building was constructed of clay lump and measured just 25 feet by 16 feet. It continued to be used as a school until the County Primary School opened in 1879 after which it became the village library, and was also used as a Sunday school in 1883.


Stacks Image 37
Stacks Image 35
Stacks Image 65


In 1939 the “reading room” was given over in trust by the Berneys to the Trustees of the Village Hall and registered as a charity. As the income was very small with no funds available for upkeep, the hall sadly deteriorated during the war years until it became unsafe and it finally closed in  1969.


Before the closure however, in 1967, a working committee was appointed to investigate the possibility of rebuilding the Village Hall.  The old hall was then demolished by voluntary labour in August 1969 and works commenced to rebuild the Hall with funds being raised in part by donations by local people, fund raising events and also by a gift of land by Mr R T Berney. The Hall as we know it today officially opened on 6th May 1970.


Today the Village Hall remains an important social hub for both Bracon Ash and Hethel and has recently been refurbished.


There's much more to this story however…


To find out even more the history of the Village Hall and about Bracon Ash and Hethel through the ages, including many photos of the villages, the people that lived here along with their stories - visit the The Bracon Ash and Hethel History website who kindly provided the content for this page.